Sunday, January 17, 2010

Aix so far...and letting everyone know I'm still alive

The last few days i was kind of in a slump because the things we were doing were very difficult. Imagine opening a bank account, dealing with signing up for a foreign country's social security system for health insurance, and signing up for classes all in anotehr language!!! It's SUPER hard. My first lecture was 2 hours long and I was like...what did you say? Except like almost the whole lecture...but the other class was better and today was much better because I could understand the professeur better. I still dont really know what's going on, but it'll get better I'm sure.

I've made tons of friends already, but am just in that stage of finding out who I really want to hang out with...and esp. travel with. It's like freshman year all over again. But so far, i pretty much like all the Wisconsin girls and some Indiana girls and have also made a really good friend it seems like already with a girl named Stine (like Stina) from Norway, Sandra from Mexico, a girl from South Africa, and a few others. I think we've already found our group of 3 french boys who loveeee those blonde american girls lol and hopefully they will become our guy friends who show us around and teach us all the fun things about being a 20-year-old french person. haha

I'm living with a women in her 60s who is SUPER interesting. She was born in paris, studied in london, went to brown for her masters and started her ph.d but didn't finish. She married an american man who went to Yale and blah blah and got his ph.d, too. she has 2 daughters (25 and 23) one went to indiana, the poli sci school i go to for her masters, and now lives in london, going to the school of economics. The other goes to harvard. Needless to say, they are incredibly intelligent. She's divorced tho now and has lived here i think for like 5 years. I also live with a girl from indiana who is nice and outgoing like me named Leigh.

What else...the city is beautiful and very old (being a former Roman city, actually), lots and lots of shops and cafes and fountains and people, but it's cold and SUPER expensive....just as expensive as Paris because it's the 2nd most expensive town in france. :( but, it's close to everything, so it has it's pluses. my room is good (15 ft ceilings, i would guess) but is kinda...old lady? If you know what I mean. But i need to find a place to print pictures...maybe get a bulletin board or something for pictures and maybe some posters to livin up the place a little. Tomorrow this international students organization organized a club night for 10 euro, so a bunch of us are going. :) I also signed up for the ski trip at the end of January for the Alps!!! soooooo excited!!! 3 days, 2 nights, 3 day pass, a restaurant meal, and 2 breakfasts for only 100 dollars!! soo cheap and fun i'm sure. lots of people are going and I'm SO excited!

1 comment: